March 5, 2008

Obama's half-Kenyan all-Republican doppelganger

Barack Obama has such an unusual background that it's interesting to find individuals very similar to him by heritage, such as his estranged half-brother Mark, and see how much they differ in world-view. Another doppelganger is the American-born daughter, Juliette Akinyi Ochieng, of Barack Obama Sr.'s old drinking buddy, the Kenyan newspaper editor Philip Ochieng. The elder Ochieng came to America to study under the same program as the elder Obama and their children were born 14 days apart. The Kenyan students eventually returned home where they spent a lot of time together, leaving their children to be raised by their American mothers.

Juliette is a retired U.S. Air Force sergeant and staunch Republican. Her LuoAmerican.com blog keeps up with the latest on the situation in Kenya (which appears to be better today than a couple of weeks ago) and casts a jaundiced eye on her fellow half-Luo's candidacy.

My published articles are archived at iSteve.com -- Steve Sailer

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the plug and for noticing my work. You've linked to me before (I think) using my blog handle.

JAO

Steve Sailer said...

Dear JAO:

You should write a blog posting speculating on why Sen. Obama and you grew up to have such different political views.

Also, you might be able to track down the exact family relationship between Sen. Obama and the new Prime Minister of Kenya, Luo leader Raila Odinga, who claims to be Obama's first cousin. It looks to me like they can't be first cousins, but maybe they are second or third cousins. That would make a good blog posting.

Anonymous said...

I've written about my (adult) political evolution before--when I first started blogging almost five years ago--but it might be time to revisit it.

As for the Odinga-Obama, relationship, Odinga has said that they are second cousins--that Obama's father was his mother's uncle. I think I mentioned it in one of my many Kenya posts, but I'm not sure.

Do you have any interesting Kenya posts to point me to?

Anonymous said...

This blog is owned by me—an American woman of East African, West African, American Indian and European descent--aka the average black American

Funny - and pretty close. Take out the East African and you're spot on.

I’m a...happily childless

Happily? Sad to hear. Sounds like you're the kind of soul we could use more of in this world.

and I am a veteran of the USAF and the USAFR.

Like I said...

Anonymous said...

Baldilocks - hang in there.

Being an African-American Republican has got to be about as thankless a task as can be found in our society today.

But rest assured that your efforts are appreciated.

And keep fighting the good fight.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's interesting. I should have kept up my Baldilocks reading from back in the day. I'll start again.